Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Caddie Woodlawn


My Mom is making me read all these books about pioneer girls!  Actually, it's sort of fun to learn about what it was like to live in the Wild West through stories.  I am learning that I really like historical fiction.

I just finished this book, Caddie Woodlawn.  It won the Newbery Medal in 1935.  It's about a pioneer girl named Caddie, and her amazing adventures on the Wisconsin frontier in the 1860s.  Caddie is a tom-boy and refuses to become a lady . . . until later in the book.  Her father allows her to be a tom-boy for her good health.  Caddie gets into trouble because she is a prankster.

I REALLY liked this book!  I highly recommend it.

My Mom gave me the assignment to compare Caddie and me.  She listed some character traits of Caddie, and I had to show examples of home Caddie exemplified the traits in the book.  Then I had to write an example of how I exhibit the traits too.  Then I had two bonus questions.  So - without further ado - here it is:

Jealousy

Caddie

Her best friend gave the most expensive Valentine in the store to a girl who never ever talked to him.

Me

Every year on my brothers' birthdays when they get presents that I want.

Generosity

Caddie

There were three little *half-breed boys who lost their mother because their dad was embarrassed of her Indian heritage.  To cheer them up Caddie spent her whole half – dollar on little things they wanted.

*This the word they used in the book to describe that the boys had an Anglo-American father and a Native-American mother.  My Mom has explained to me that we don't actually use this word anymore.

Me

I showed my little brother how to make cleaning fun, and helped him clean up the blocks by putting them on the train to happy-land in the playroom.

Anger

Caddie

She gets whipped by her mother for a trick she and her brothers played on their aunt, and her brothers don't get whipped.  In the morning her father thought it was unfair that she got whipped and had to stay in her room with no supper while the boys got home free, so he whipped them too.  

Me

When my brother Oliver is teasing and provoking me.  Also when Berrett will not leave me alone or be quiet when I am doing home school.  

Kindness

Caddie

Caddie watched Indian John's dog and scalp belt that his father made.  John's dog was hurt in a bear trap and John had to leave for a little bit, so Caddie nursed the dog back to health.  The scalp belt was really old and it could fall apart on the journey, so Caddie kept it safe until John returned.

Me

Babysitting my brothers while my mom gets stuff done or when she is not feeling good.

Daring

Caddie

The town thinks there is going to be an Indian attack.  After waiting for three days, Caddie hears men talking about killing the Indians.  Caddie rides to the Indian camp, where they are not planing an attack, to warn them.

Me

Moving around the world to represent America with my Dad.

Patience

Caddie 

When an Indian attack was rumored, they had to sit in a barn and help the adults until they could go home.

Me

I have to be patient for my birthday and Christmas every year . . . WILL YOU HURRY UP!

Patriotism

Caddie

Her father had a chance to become a lord in England, but he gave his family a chance to vote and Caddie voted to stay in America.

Me

 My Dad is in the Army and I have to move around a lot from America to Germany and then back to America.

Courage

Caddie

With some help from John's dog, Caddie gave everybody a waring about the forest fire that was heading to the school, but somebody else saved the school.

Me

I ran a 5k, and even though I thought I was going to come in last, I believed in myself and did it in 30 something minutes.

Dependability

Caddie

When her brothers and she played a trick on their aunt, she wanted to go back on her promise to the boys, but she did.

Me

My mom can always count on me to get my chores done on the weekends.


Bonus Questions: "How far I've come!" Caddie says at the end of the book.  "I'm the same girl and yet now the same."  What does Caddie mean?  How has she changed and how has she remained the same?  How have you changed and remained the same?

Caddie means that she still has her pros and cons, but she has gained more knowledge.

I changed and remained the same when I moved from Germany.  I learned some life long lessons, like it's hard to say goodbye to friends, but I am still the fun and loving Evalynn I was before.

Signing Off,
Evalynn and Mom

4 comments:

  1. Loved the book report and how you compared it to yourself. Great idea! You are an amazing girl & have done some amazing things in your 10 years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun report. Good job.
    Love Grandpa Woolf

    ReplyDelete