Tuesday, November 13, 2012

The Edible Solar System

I am studying the Solar System, and my Mom and I just finished reading this book.  I liked and I recommend it.  At the end of the book, there is an idea for making a model of the Solar System out of food.  Since my Daddy was home on Friday, he and I made the model in two rooms of our house.  We weren't able to include the three outermost dwarf planets because they wouldn't fit in our house!  And we couldn't include Proxima Centauri, the nearest star to our Sun, because even using our scale of centimeters instead of meters, it would have been out of our neighborhood.


Here is a picture of the Solar System model that would fit in our house.  Following are close up pictures of the food we used for each planet to represent the relative size of the planets to each other.  I also included the distance of each planet from our Sun using our food model scale and actual distance.  







 Here are three things I learned by doing this project:
1.  Our Sun is by far the biggest object in our Solar System.
2.  The inner rock planets are very small in comparison to the outer gas planets.
3.  The Solar System is huge.  There is a lot of space between each planet.

I've really liked learning about Space.  I am thinking of becoming an astronaut so that I can engineer a new career field of mining for natural resources from the Asteroid Belt and Titan.

Signing Off,
*Evalynn* and Mom



1 comment:

  1. just imagine, in a not very distant past humans believed that the sun rotated around the earth instead of the earth rotating around the sun...I love science and all it teaches us about reality, love you, uncle Sean

    ReplyDelete