Thursday, October 11, 2012

American Revolution Comic Strip


After finishing a book with my mom about the American Revolution, I was assigned to create a 9-strip comic about some of the major events we learned about.  This is my finished masterpiece.



Boston Tea Party.  Who could forget that!?

I will include what I wrote in the quotation bubbles in italics:

No taxation without representation!

I hate this law!  And this tea.


Thomas Paine wrote a pamphlet titled, Common Sense.  I'm sure most of you know about the famous speech that Patrick Henry gave when he declared, "Give me liberty or give me death!"

Common sense, people!

Give me liberty or give me death!


On a midnight ride, Paul Revere bellowed, "The Redcoats are coming!"  The Redcoats were the British Army.

The Redcoats are coming!

I was in the middle of a perfect dream.


When they heard that the Redcoats were coming, farmers, who called themselves Minute Men, assembled to fight.  No one knows which side shot first, but 8 Minute Men were killed, and the war was started.  Ralph Waldo Emerson, in his famous poem, called that first shot "the shot heard around the world."

Bang!

What was that!?

I think a war has started.


On famous Bunker Hill, even though we lost, we proved to the Redcoats that is was not going to be easy to beat us Americans!

We won, but I think this is going to get uglier.


The Declaration of Independence was signed on July 4, 1776.  It was written mostly by Thomas Jefferson.  It officially declared to King George III and Britain that America was a free and independent country.  Even after they wrote it, they still had to fight for it.

It's the 4th of July, 1776.

We have declared our independence!

John!  Why is your signature so big!


In 1778 the French entered the war to help America.  They had a lot of warships and weapons.  This was a turning point in the war.

We are coming!


Molly Pitcher was a famous woman in the war.  When her husband fell wounded (he was in charge of the cannon), she stepped in and took his place.  She also carried water out to the soldiers right on the battle field.  I guess that's why she's called Molly Pitcher :)

Love you, Honey.  Bye!


At Yorktown we surrounded the British (also known as encircled), and won the war!  The British General Cornwallis surrendered on October 19, 1781.  The Redcoats played, "The World Turned Upside Down," as they gave their weapons to the Americans.  The peace treaty between Britain and America was signed in 1783.

I surrender!

You're encircled.

Thanks for reading.  Signing-Off,
Evalynn and Mom

1 comment:

  1. That is awesome Evie! You have some amazing art skills and I love the comic strip style. You are rockin it!

    ReplyDelete