Thursday, February 28, 2013

1800s Facts


I did some light reading and grew my brain a little. So, my Mom wanted me to share my knowledge with all of you.  Here is my brilliant knowledge... oops, I almost forgot the books I read were: Children of the Trail West, My name is America - Douglas Allen Deeds - The Donner Party Expedition, The Battle of the Alamo, The Gold Rush, and The Oregon Trail.  Well, on with the show!  

Westward Bound


During the 1800s, thousands of families went West in search of a better life.
The travelers called themselves emigrants.
Children covered their lips and faces with black axle grease to keep them from burning and cracking in the sun.

This is the book I read to learn about the Donner Party.

The Donner Party

In the spring of 1846, a group of nearly 90 people left Springfield, Illinois, and headed West.
The group was led by two wealthy brothers, Jacob and George Donner. 
The Donner party is famous for getting trapped in a snow storm and eating those who died to live. 

The Alamo



The Battle of the Alamo happened in the year 1836.
The settlers defended the land they lived in against the Mexican government.
Almost every one died.

The California Gold Rush



In 1848, James Marshall discovered gold at Sutter's Sawmill, which started the Gold Rush.
In 1853, thanks to the Gold Rush, the population of California exceeded 300,000.
The discovery of silver in Nevada ended the California Gold Rush.

The Oregon Trail



The Oregon Trail claimed more then 20,000 lives.
There were ten graves for every mile. WOW!
The trip took about 5 to 6 months, and was about 2,000 miles long.

Well, I'm beat and that's all the knowledge for today.  Catch ya later.

Signing off,

Evalynn and Mom 

2 comments:

  1. You should get your mom to download the oregon trail game for you! It was one of my favorites

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll ask her 100 times today! Maybe even more!

      Delete