Tuesday, March 5, 2013

The Old West Visual Dictionary


Yesterday I read this really cool book about the Old West.  I really, really, really liked it.  It had a lot of information and pictures.  My Mom gave me the awesome assignment to make my own Old West visual dictionary.  Here you go:



Native Americans

Native americans used buffalo hides to make their home, blankets, and clothing.

Cattle Ranch

Wild horses were brought to the corral to be broken or to be tamed.

Chuck Wagon

A chuck wagon was like a traveling kitchen which the cowboys used.

Covered Wagon

The pioneers traveled in covered wagons.

Wagon Trail

The treacherous trails the pioneers had to go on.

Prospectors vs. Miners

At first prospectors looked in rivers for gold, but soon many prospectors became miners.

Boomtowns

A boomtown is a community that grows very quickly.

Railroad

Railroads saved a lot of time and lives.  The trains carried goods and people, and there was a first class car, a second class car, and a third class car.

Steam Locomotive

The locomotive pulled the other rail cars. It was at the front of the train.  


Signing Off,
Evalynn and Mom



4 comments:

  1. I like western stuff too. Can you imagine branding a cow? Or Sleeping in a chuck wagon?
    Love you
    Grandpa Woolf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grandpa, will you take me to a cattle ranch so that I can brand a cow? I really want a tiny farm. I'm trying to talk my parents into it. I think they are falling for it.
      Love you,
      Eva

      Delete