Thursday, February 7, 2013

How To Make Doggy Treats

I just got a dog and his name is Lucky.  We got him on Saturday.   I had been on Petfinder for weeks, and was running low on hope of finding the perfect dog.  I found this cute Shih tzu, and my Dad drove me an hour to see it.  After our introduction, it tried to bite me.  Fail.

I was sad, so my whole family went to Petsmart.  We saw two dogs that we loved immediately - Lucky and Teddy.  Lucky won the battle of "May the best dog win!"  He had been at the Humane Society since October, and they were getting ready to kill him.  He was priced at $25 to save his life.  So, that's how we got him.



I wanted to make treats for him, and my Mom said I could if I wrote a how-to paper.  So here we go . . .

To make these treats for your dog you need:
1/2 cup of pumpkin puree
4T of molasses
4T of H2O
2T of vegetable oil
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/4t b. soda
1/4t b. powder
1t of cinnamon

  • Pre- heat the oven to 350.
  • Mix all the wet ingredients together.

  • Add the dry ingredients and mix them into the wet ingredients the best you can with a spoon.  The dough will be very dry, so you will probably have to use your hands to knead everything together at the end.  

  • Grease a cookie sheet with Pam.
  • Use a half tablespoon to measure out the dough.  Roll each half tablespoon into a ball.  Put it on the cookie sheet and flatten with a fork.  



  • Once the cookie sheet is full, place it in the oven and bake for 25 minutes.  Don't forget to set a timer.
  • When the timer goes off, use pot holders to take out the cookie sheet and place it on a cooling rack or surface.  WARNING: Do not put it on your mother's wood table!
  • Let the biscuits cool, then make your dog do a trick to earn his treat.


The results?
Delicious dog treats for your dog to enjoy. You can eat some too, but they will not be sweet.  If you have any other ideas for dog treats, please leave it in your comment.

Signing Off,
Evalynn and Mom

5 comments:

  1. Luckiest dog ever to get to be with your family!!!
    Awesome. The treats look pretty doggy delicious too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look surprisingly like delicious cookies which are my favorite people treat. I don't think you want to make cookies and doggy treats the same time though...you might get them confused. You asked for suggestions for doggy treats; Here's a different kind of treat that you can make for your dad and your dog. (Dad's can sometimes be in the dog house so it makes some sense to make them both a treat)...First, go with your mom to the store and buy a big juicy stake, then cook it in the BBQ. Put it on a plate and have your Dad cut all the fat and gristle off. Dad gets the stake and the Dog gets the other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. IDK...I think doggies and gristle equals an upset tummy:-)

    Looks good Evie girl

    ReplyDelete
  4. He looks like a cute dog. I'll bet he loved that you made him homemade treats!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. I takes some real talent to make dog treats so tasty. Way to go chief Evie!

    ReplyDelete