Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Happy Birthday Abraham Lincoln!


Today is Abraham Lincoln's birthday.  My mom thinks he is possibly the best president of the United States of America.  So today, in honor of his birthday, I read a book about him and watched two documentaries.  Here are ten interesting facts I learned about President Lincoln:

1. Abraham was very little when his mom died from milk fever.
2. Abraham was very close with his stepmom.
3. Abraham taught himself how to read, and most other things.
4. Abraham did not have much education as a kid since he had to work on the farm.
5. Abraham's father rented Abraham out to neighbors, but Abraham had to pay his father all the money until he was 21.  This is why some people say he sympathized with slaves.  In one of his speeches he said he thought it was unfair that a person had to toil all day in the hot sun while another person reaped the profits.
6. The reward for Abraham Lincoln's murderer was $100,000.
7. Abraham was a traveling lawyer before he became a politician.
8. Abraham's face is on both the penny and the five dollar bill.
9. Abraham died at age 56.
10. Abraham was the first president to have a beard.

As part of my assignment today, I was to find three quotes I like from President Lincoln.  Well, I found four:
1. All that I am, or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.
2. Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.
3. Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
4. Most folks are as happy as they make up their mind to be.

Do you have a favorite quote or interesting fact about President Lincoln?

Signing Off,
Evalynn and Mom

1 comment:

  1. I do think Abraham Lincoln is an amazing president! He was a remarkable man. Very nicely done.

    ReplyDelete