Monday, April 15, 2013

My Green Thumb


For science, I got to learn how to plant, grow, and harvest salad, spinach, and carrots.  First I had research the plants, then I had to make some hypotheses based on what I had learned about the plants.  Next I had to water and wait.  During this time, I took careful measurements of the plants' growth and charted it.  In the end, the mesclun mix (salad) was a phenomenal success and the carrots were an epic fail.  Here are the nitty gritty details:


Mom: How did you come up with your hypotheses?  Did you just guess?  What conclusions can you make from your hypotheses after completing your garden experiment?

Evalynn:
Well, I did not guess, I used the information on the seed package for all of them except for the last one.  My conclusion is that all of them are right, too bad the carrots didn't turn up. 




Mom: Why did you pick these plants to plant?

Evalynn: It was time for all of them to be planted (they are Spring or cold tolerant plants) and they could grow in pots.



Mom: What process, procedures, and protocols did you use to grow your garden?

Evalynn: I made sure the soil was damp and fresh, also that the soil was not too tight so the plants could breath.




Mom: Why do you think the carrots were an epic fail?  Were there any outside influences that could have contributed to the carrots' demise?

Evalynn: It may be that it got too hot too quick, or some people got into them (like my little brother), but either way the carrots are dead.








Mom: What did you learn about how food comes out of the ground?  Is it the same as the food you buy in the grocery store?

Evalynn: The food is not the same as the grocery store, you still have to wash it.  If you do not you will be eating bug and dirt infected food.


Mom:  How did your salad taste?

Evalynn: It tasted bitter, but that is because of the mix.  My mom says it could also be because the weather was a little warm, and that can make lettuce taste bitter.   Other than that, it was delicious.


Mom: What are five important things you learned from this experiment?

Evalynn:

1.  I learned that you have to water plants almost every day.
2.  I learned that the plants needed sunshine, but not too much heat.
3.  I learned that when you grow your food yourself, you have to wash it really well before you eat it.
4.  I learned that taking care of a garden is hard work.
5.  Next year we should plant these plants a month earlier.

Signing Off,
Evalynn and Mom












4 comments:

  1. I saw those plants when Grandma and I were at your house. They looked delicious. To bad we couldn't eat them together.
    Love you
    Grandpa Woolf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too bad. Maybe next year. Miss you. Love Evalynn

      Delete
  2. That is awesome Evie, good job!

    ReplyDelete